Finding the right college for you can be a time-consuming and overwhelming task. There are so many details that can affect your decision like the size of the campus, the majors offered, and the atmosphere in the surrounding city. Figuring out which atmosphere will allow you to make the most of your college experience should be a top priority.
Here are a few things to consider about the different college surroundings available to you:
Metropolitan campuses like University of Miami, are located within cities. Here are a few things to keep in mind when considering a campus in a metropolitan area:
- Metropolitan campuses tend to attract a diverse student body
- Metropolitan campuses are usually surrounded by cities with strong public-transportation options to the variety of entertainment available in the surrounding area
- Many metropolitan campuses offer off-campus learning opportunities such as co-op classes and internships
Suburban campuses like Flagler are in large towns, small cities or residential areas near cities. Here are things to consider about suburban campuses:
- Suburban campuses are typically quieter than metropolitan campuses which can create a strong sense of community
- Suburban campuses usually offer public transportation to the nearby cities
- Suburban colleges often have connections in the area where they are located and can provide solid job opportunities for their student body. They often have connections to the towns where they are located.
Whichever atmosphere you choose should be one that will offer you the best opportunities to achieve your college career goals. When you are visiting the colleges you're interested in, make sure to also explore the surrounding area and see what it has to offer!